Make Music Day is a free celebration of music around the world on June 21st and open to anyone who wants to take part in filling the air with music.
Make Music is a free celebration of music around the world on June 21st. Completely different from a typical music festival, Make Music is open to anyone who wants to take part. Every kind of musician — young and old, amateur and professional, of every musical persuasion — pours onto streets, parks, plazas, and porches to share their music with friends, neighbors, and strangers. All of it is free and open to the public.
In 2017, over 800 cities around the world threw citywide music celebrations on June 21.
It all started 35 years ago in France.
In 1982, Jack Lang and his staff at the Ministry of Culture dreamed up an idea for a new kind of musical holiday. They imagined a day where free, live music would be everywhere: street corners and parks, rooftops and gardens, store fronts and mountaintops. Unlike a typical music festival, anyone and everyone would be invited to join and play music, or host performances. The event would take place on the summer solstice, June 21, and would be called Fête De La Musique. (In French, the name means both “festival of music” and “make music!”) Amazingly enough, this dream has come true.
Three decades later, the holiday has spread throughout the world and is now celebrated in more than 120 countries and over 750 cities.
Make Music Davis – On June 21st, 2017, Davis, CA joined the global celebration of music for the first time and will continue the event in 2018. All are welcome and encouraged to help fill the air with music.
Sign-up for Make Music Day 2018 close June 20! CLICK HERE
Make Music Davis isn’t limited to professional musicians, anyone can participate.
Not a musician?
- Try making music on bucket drums with leader from the UC Davis marching band and donated Vic Firth drumsticks and Davis Ace buckets (11a-1p).
- Join the Sing and Strum along at Manetti Shrem Museum Patio (11:45a-1:15p)
- Go to Armadillo Music at 5:15p and receive a FREE Hohner harmonica and intro lesson.
- Play musical trivia at Woodstock Pizza with musical prizes (9p).
- Check out the map and go see some of the local talent!
Play (some) music?
Singers, church choirs, jazz combos, rock bands, glee clubs, marching bands, mariachis, and every other kind of musician, of any age group or skill level, are all welcome.
- Join the all day musician meet-up at the UC Davis Arboretum, Wyatt Deck
- Make music on bucket drums with leader from the UC Davis marching band and donated Vic Firth drumsticks and Davis Ace buckets (11a-1p).
- Meet at the Manetti Shrem Museum Patio for the Sing and Strum along at (11:45a-1:15p)
- Join the C St. Ukulele Band at Davis Community Church for a strum along with free songbooks from Alfred (1p-2p)
- It doesn’t have to be pretty, just make some music along with people all over the world.
- Find a Venue or make a Venue and put yourself on the map with a public show.
- Check out the map and go see some local talent.
It’s easy to get involved!
Your participation can vary from practicing your guitar on your front porch, or playing publicly with your group or with others.
Click here to access the musical “match-making” service for Davis, CA and UC Davis campus and follow these instructions:
Performers: Create your profile by submitting a photo, description of your act, and any relevant website/social media links. City parks and public pianos are part of the celebration. Find a venue and time that you would like to play and submit a request. The venue will confirm your request, and you’re good to go.
Venues: Create a profile by submitting your location information, a description of the space, and times you are willing to host music. Peruse the musician profiles to request a performance, or welcome musicians to bid on your space independently. Confirm the connection and make sure your space is ready to go on June 21st. Note: your Venue will not show on the map if you do not have a confirmed performance. So, even if it is an open jam session on your front lawn, please enter that as a performance to help others find you.
to all that joined the world in song on
June 21, 2017!
The event is free and open to the public, and your contributions make it possible!
For sponsorship inquiries, please contact Annie at (530)574-7204, or email Annie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And additional support from:
Have questions or ideas? Get in touch with us at email@example.com.